Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Food or Foe?



I am gearing up to make a bunch of yummy Halloween treats for my aunt and uncles big annual Halloween get together, and the following week I'm cooking appetizers for a friend's open house. I get so excited about making a good plate of food, but it certainly was not always this way.
Until a couple years ago, I loathed most cooking. I loved to bake for the kids, but even then, it was mostly decorating cupcakes I enjoyed. This past year I lost a significant amount of weight, but I have never cooked more in my life. Why? Something in my mind and body finally clicked. It was certainly never the food I hated, my butt can attest to that. What I hated was the chore. I saw cooking as a chore. The endless, what's for dinner question drove me insane. When we finally figured out what to eat, I rushed, chowed, and snacked more later. When I eventually made a conscious choice, to truly take the time, enjoying the process and smells and taste and colors - it turns out I LOVE to cook and bake. AND, the added bonus, I usually don't scarf the food down and over-eat, because part of me is satiated from the cooking process itself. It seems so cliche, but once I slowed down and lived in the moment, losing weight and cooking became a joy for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not always so Zen about food! I still have busy-mom drive-thru moments and PMS overindulgence, but food is no longer a foe, and what a relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment